The Happiness Equation

happiness

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Neil Pasricha is the New York Times–bestselling author of The Happiness Equation, a book that has persuaded many, all around the world, to see happiness in a different way.

The book is a combination of inspiring quotes, research data, stories and thought-probing moments.

The Happiness Equation, is a book that will challenge how you think about everything—your time, your career, your relationships, your family, which, ultimately, of course, all lead to happiness.

Here are the most groundbreaking points of Pasrichas’s book;

Happiness is Intentional

90% of our happiness isn’t based on what’s happening in the world, it’s based on how we see the world. Put another way, only 10% of our happiness can be linked to what happens to us. Material items such as a promotion or a car, ect, can only take us so far (on the happiness scale). The rest (some 90%) is to do with our mindset and our intentional activities.

What are intentional activities? These are the things we do (or neglect to do) to improve our situations and by extension, our happiness. If we dig a bit deeper what we are really saying is – happiness is not an outcome – something that happens outside of our control – it’s a state of mind, an internal process.

If you desire a happy life you need to be intentional about it. Pasricha gives us a cue sheet for this by identifying seven research-supported things we can do to ‘train our brain’ to be happy. Here they are:

  1. Walk – at least 30 mins, three times a week
  2. Write – 20 minutes about a positive experience
  3. Do five random acts of kindness each week
  4. Completely unplug to recharge
  5. Hit flow – do an absorbing, time-melts-away activity
  6. Make time for two minute meditations
  7. Identify five gratitudes – things you are thankful for

Why do you wake up in the morning?

The Okinawans have the word ikigai (pronounced like ‘icky guy’) which roughly means “the reason you wake up in the morning.”

The men and women of Okinawa apparently have a lifespan roughly seven years longer than Americans and a lifestyle that does not include the concept of retirement. Instead, they have an ikigai – a purpose for living. Organizations have an ikigai too – although they are usually referred to as vision and mission statements. No matter what we call it, knowing what we are striving to achieve and why it is important can help us push through the challenging moments and savour the small victories along the way.

Whats your ikigai? What motivates you in times of darkness? Make yourself an ikigai card and place it where you can read it every morning (and night) to remind yourself why you get out of bed each day.

Author: Leila Mezoughi

Leila is PCA’s Head Editor and Researcher. She holds a 1st class Law with Business degree and became a published author at 25. Former crime investigator turned business journalist. On a mission to show businesses that presenteeism is a thing of the past. Everything seems impossible until it’s done. Typically found working from a white beach in South-East Asia embracing rapidly changing technology.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

comments powered by Disqus

Share this blog

Our Posts

The Science of Selling

We know that psychology is used in selling. We like to think we are immune to sales manipulation...
Read more

The Scientific Way To Stay Balanced in Stress

Stress has become the norm. It's something we expect from our careers and it's something we fight...
Read more

The Point of No Return and how it will change your life

Organisational psychologist Benjamin, P Hardy, collated some very interesting research into achieving...
Read more

Willpower Is A Flawed Concept

If you want to make any permanent change in your life, willpower won’t get you there.Willpower...
Read more

How the emotionally intelligent deal with first impressions

Making a good first impression is often discussed in business. It can either make or break your next...
Read more
The Happiness Equation - PCA LAW